Migration Guide: Migration guide for Lightbend Telemetry 2.13
Support the latest releases of the Lightbend Platform: Scala (2.13), Akka (2.6), Play (2.8), and Lagom (1.6).
Complete support for Akka Typed and Akka Persistence Typed (for Akka 2.6.1+). Unlike classic actors, all typed actor instances share the same underlying class, so reporting by class is not meaningful. While reporting by instance and group are fully supported, it is often desirable to group actor metrics by behaviour. This can be achieved with actor tags. Introduced in Akka 2.6,
ActorTags allow arbitrary tags to be assigned to any actors within your system, and are defined as actor properties (
Props) at creation time. Telemetry 2.13 introduces support for selecting actors for instrumentation using tags, and for metrics to be reported by tag. See the overview for configuring Akka Typed actors.
Improve HTTP telemetry. Introduce the ability to track HTTP endpoint metrics per status code class, for Akka HTTP, Play, and Lagom. The Play WS metrics were reporting service identifiers using the URI path, which can be very high cardinality, and is now fixed to identify services correctly using
host:port. Allow the Play WS or Lagom clients to be instrumented independently from Play or Lagom services.
Performance improvements for the Prometheus backend (switch to a new Summary metric backed by an HDR Histogram) and instrumentation of Akka Stream materialization, including special support for substreams.
Improve access to the sbt-cinnamon plugin by making it publicly available, so that commercial credentials and resolvers are no longer needed at the sbt plugins level, only at the build project level.
Note: For sbt, the commercial dependency resolver (necessary to download the cinnamon dependencies) must now be added to build.sbt manually.
Released: 08 February 2020
- Fix the false warning: “Could not start Prometheus HTTP server”.
- Fix the issue with the stash size metric reports a negative value for a classic persistent actor (that has two internal stashes) or any actor implementation that has more than one stash.
- Fix the breaking change in
RecoveryPermitterintroduced in Akka
- Support normalisation of log-correlation keys in MDC.
IncompatibleClassChangeErroron instrumented Try.
Released: 10 January 2020
- Fix Cinnamon Akka Persistence Classic instrumentation to support any persistent actor that extends Eventsourced (not only the PersistentActor class).
Released: 20 December 2019
- Improve access to the sbt-cinnamon plugin by making it publicly available.
- Improve instrumentation for Akka Typed actors and Akka Persistence Typed, including selecting and reporting using actor tags.
- Performance improvement for the Prometheus backend: switch to a new Summary metric backed by an HDR Histogram.
- Performance improvements for instrumentation of Akka Stream materialization, including special support for substreams.
- Add optional HTTP endpoint metrics per status code class, for Akka HTTP, Play, and Lagom.
- Enable Play AHC-WS library metrics and traces for applications that only use Play AHC-WS or Lagom Client.
- Fix Play AHC-WS (Asynchronous HTTP Client WebService) metrics to report service identifier correctly.
- Fix for instrumentation when running on Zulu JDK with Musl libc and Alpine Linux.