Migration Guide: Migration guide for Lightbend Telemetry 2.16
This release of Lightbend Telemetry includes these major features:
Akka HTTP 10.2.3 introduces a native HTTP/2 client (marked as experimental, the APIs may change), Akka gRPC 1.1.0 onwards is able to use this HTTP/2 client meaning that all gRPC client and server traffic is handled by Lightbend frameworks. This release of Telemetry expands support, ensuring that metrics and tracing for Akka HTTP continue to work for the HTTP/2 protocol.
This release also introduces a new Telemetry gRPC module (seen under the Akka HTTP documentation), which extracts gRPC metadata such as the gRPC service name and request paths to include in the reported metrics and traces.
Similar to Akka Persistence and Ask-Pattern instrumentation, some existing Akka metrics now provide optional message-type dimensions. Including:
Those metric names have been changed and will require dashboard updates. Please see the migration guide notes for more info.
Released: 20 October 2021
- Fix unloaded
InstrumentedFixedSizeBufferclass loader exception.
cnmContextDisabledmissing from some scenarios of a
- Beta’ing new feature
cinnamon.opentracing.akka.actor.message.excludesas a means to exclude specific message names. This is a list of strings which will compare against the message via a
- Fix a bug where using Alpakka Kafka in Cinnamon warns about context propagation disconnect and disables Akka Stream async processing timers.
- Update datadog to version 0.68 to take advantage of a race condition fix. There is a potential for some changes in parentage of database spans with this version.
- Update for Akka dependency to 2.6.16
Released: 16 July 2021
- Update for Jaeger dependency to 1.6.0
- Update for Zipkin Reporter dependency to 2.12.0
- Update for Lagom dependency to 1.6.5
- Address security vulnerabilities by updating next dependencies:
- guava to 30.0-jre
- jackson to 2.11.4
- commons-codec to 1.13
- httpclient to 4.5.13
Released: 14 June 2021
- Drop support for sbt 0.13 (not supported by Lightbend since Apr 30, 2019)
- Drop support for Scala 2.11 (not supported by Lightbend since Jun 1, 2018)
- Drop support for Alpakka Kafka connector 1.0.x versions (not supported by Lightbend since Jan 15, 2021). Versions under 1.1.x are still supported. For more information on changes between 1.0.x and 1.1.x see the release notes.
- Drop support for Akka HTTP 10.0.x (not supported by Lightbend since Dec 31, 2018). If your application uses Play 2.6 (not supported since Feb 1, 2020), or Lagom 1.4 (not supported since Apr 16, 2020) it will be impacted as well.
Update for Alpakka Kafka dependency to 2.1.0
- Update for Akka Projection dependency to 1.2.0
Fix for missing traces when using Alpakka Kafka consumer continuation by preventing span-continuation leaks in Akka and Akka Stream (require Akka 2.6.15+)
- Fix for resuming original context propagation for some Akka Stream stages when the push call preceded by the corresponding pull call. It includes: ZipWith, ZipLatest, ZipWithN, Filter, IdleInject, Detacher, Batch, Expand, GroupedWeightedWithin, and mapConcat (require Akka 2.6.15+)
- Fix for proper context propagation Akka Stream merge and others that use FixedSizeBuffer.apply
Fix for zero persisted event metrics in Akka Replicated Event Sourcing.
- Fix for Akka HTTP 10.2 server endpoint naming API resulting in
- Fix for Akka Projection instrumentation that failed with NoClassDefFoundError when it used without Java Agent.
- Fix for the takePublisher method signature introduced in Akka Stream 2.6.15
- Fix for Akka HTTP 10.2 instrumentation resulting in
Catching Prometheus Observer exceptions to prevent crash on HDRHistogram exception.
- Telemetry will now error and exit when detecting multiple versions of telemetry dependencies on the classpath, as seen here